Practicing mindfulness is maintaining an awareness of our thoughts, ideas, feelings, bodily sensations, and external environment, moment by moment. It is like gazing through life with a soft lens without any judgments.
5-Minute Mindfulness Body Relaxation Scan Meditation
Mindfulness often means acceptance and close attention to your thought patterns without attaching any preconceived notion to them— it means without categorizing them under “right” or “wrong” headings and letting them be in a given moment. When you practice mindfulness, you automatically tune into the present moment. It allows you to detach from the memory or to plan the future.
Practicing Mindfulness – How It Helps?
Although the concept originated from Buddhist meditation, it is mainly considered a secular practice that became mainstream in America recently. Pioneers such as Jon Kabat-Zinn were its early advocates whose Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) technique became a highlighted program at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in the late 70s.
Ever since thousands of research works have documented the mental and physical health benefits of mindfulness. The mindfulness program inspires countless methods to adapt to the model in various institutions, schools, hospitals, prisons, and training centers.
A simple way to practice mindfulness is sitting upright with eyes closed and palms resting on the laps. Keep your feet flat on the floor and focus on the movement of your breath. You can also listen to a guided meditation to divert attention inwards. Focus on the moment by paying attention to your bodily sensations. Let the thoughts and emotions emerge and slide. Your mind may wander by either reminiscing about the past or planning for the future.
It Can Teach You The Skill To Master Focus
Practicing mindfulness can teach you the art of paying attention to the present by noticing your mind’s activities. It lets you see when your mind wanders off and how to bring it back to your breath swiftly. It can help you rest and settle your mind. Some users use natural aids like CBD and cannabis to restore balance and peace while meditating. The anxiolytic effects in them can help sustain better focus. Thus, one must rely on trusted brands such as Sunday Scaries to draw maximum benefits.
Mindfulness Prepares You Better To Deal with Life Stresses
Statistics reveal that eight out of ten Americans experience stress in their everyday life. Many people find it tough to calm their minds and bodies. Constant restlessness can put you at a high risk of heart disease, blood pressure, and other conditions. While there can be myriad practices to fight anxiety, mindfulness meditation is probably one of the most straightforward techniques to manage overall wellness, from exercise to yoga.
Users often find opportunities for self-reflection and get to learn about unique ways to self-manage stress. In many cases, it promotes self-regulation and empathy. Part of practicing mindfulness that appeals to the masses is that people find a new way to discover one’s hidden emotions.
A growing body of research indicates its usefulness in reducing stress and anxiety. Some studies also suggest that mindfulness also helps improve memory and brain functions. Years ago, a study by neuroscientist Sara Lazar documented that mindfulness meditation can help change the brain’s gray matter, the regions linked with memory, regulation of emotions, and the sense of self. Another piece of research by Benjamin Shapero indicated that mindfulness could help with episodes of depression.
Physical Benefits Of Practicing Mindfulness
A highly competitive environment demands mental agility. Whether you are struggling with a familiar environment or up to handle critical tasks, the usual work environment requires a greater sense of focus. Better decision-making usually comes when you maintain better control and keep awareness of your thoughts and emotions. Practicing mindfulness can help you nurture such habits. It can help manage burnout from work.
The deep breathing techniques often help with better relaxation, while the self-compassion tools are like a fitness routine for your brain. Mindfulness challenges can help practice brainpower. It adds consistency to train and discipline the wandering mind, often directing attention to the present moment.
Balancing Lifestyle Through Practicing Mindfulness
It also relaxes you to reach deep within your psyche. Although there may not be a ritualistic approach to mindfulness, the constant awareness will let you witness and enjoy even the small moments in life. You can also easily withdraw your attention and experience better sleep patterns and calmness.
The results of practicing mindfulness are profound on your lifestyle. It gradually inculcates good eating habits. With mindful eating, you gather awareness to eat only as much as your body needs and hence nip eating disorders right at their roots.
6 Steps To Get Started Practicing Mindfulness Meditation
1. Either sit in the traditional lotus position or simply relax in a comfortable chair, with your feet resting on the floor. Keep your spine straight but not stiff. Let your head hang naturally with a downward gaze.
2. Your hands should be resting comfortably on your thighs. You can keep your eyes open, but most people seem to prefer closing them. Do whatever works best for you. The goal is to get completely comfortable and not to worry about whether you are doing it right or wrong.
3. Just begin practicing mindfulness, and you will enjoy the results. Start focusing on your breathing. All your attention should be on how the air feels as you inhale deeply through your nose down to your stomach, then exhale. Notice the physical sensations of the air moving down your body, then being expelled through the nose. Become aware of the rise and fall in your chest as you inhale and exhale.
4. Don’t worry if your attention wanders. This is perfectly normal. What is important is that you don’t try to stop those intruding thoughts. Just let them flow through your mind non-judgmentally and return your focus to your breathing. If you find your thoughts wandering too often, don’t worry. Simply observe whatever is happening. Don’t judge or blame yourself. Just observe what your mind is doing.
5. When you’re done meditating, sit quietly for a moment before opening your eyes. Take a minute and observe what you are feeling. Again, it’s important not to judge yourself. When you are ready, go about your day.
6. The act of focusing on your breath helps you become aware of your thoughts and emotions. The more you meditate, the more aware you become. And as we’ll discuss in the next chapter, meditation is all about increasing your awareness
The Final Notes On Practicing Mindfulness
Despite the rising popularity of practicing mindfulness, the masses are still unaware of its benefits and techniques. Many still believe that it requires some fancy routines or going into deep trances. While beginners may often fall asleep or even feel uncomfortable in comprehending thoughts feeling bored or distracted, it does require elementary awareness. A daily practice of mindfulness can upturn your life.
All you need is regular devotion to practicing mindfulness for a couple each day. Gradually, the process will grow on you. After all the tremendous health benefits it has to offer, it is worth the efforts.