If you struggle with anxiety but have never meditated, it might be worth a try. Studies have shown that meditation reduces anxiety by as much as 39%.
These resources—from guided meditation channels to music, apps, and podcasts—will get you started. Take a look, take a listen, and take a breath….
Guided Meditation: Great For Beginners
When you’re just starting out, listening to instructions given by a trained meditation teacher can be an effective way to stay focused.
1. The Omega Institute’s YouTube channel offers a wide variety of meditations, including Noah Levine’s basic Buddhist meditation for beginners and Pema Chodron’s thoughtful Tonglen meditation, each under five minutes.
2. In another five-minute meditation, Robert Eric Dinenberg, MD, MPH talks you through a mindfulness-focused meditation.
3. Stop, Breathe, and Think offers a short meditation focused on breathing. Try this three-minute exercise.
4. This guided meditation session is an intermediate length—20 minutes—perfect to try during your lunch break or before you start another hectic day.
5. This 12-minute meditation is another helpful, guided lesson you can participate in on YouTube.
6. Want something longer? Try this 42-minute guided meditation.
7. This guided meditation is an ideal way to relax and clear your mind before going to sleep.
Meditative Music To Calm The Mind
If focusing on your breath seems impossible, meditating while listening to music might be a better approach for you. Try these relaxing options:
8. YellowBrickCinema offers lengthy (up to eight hours!) meditation music compositions.
9. If you enjoy more delicate sounds, try this meditative music option which adds flute sounds into the mix.
10. Acoustic guitar music can be a very effective way to slows down the mind.
11. You can find several live streams of meditation music on YouTube where you can also see how many others are tuning in with you…just in case you’re feeling lonely.
12. Meditating to music you already know and love won’t work if you tend to sing along. A better option? Listen to the instrumental versions of your favorite songs on YouTube instead.
Let Nature Do The Talking
Nature sounds can be another wonderful meditation vehicle. Here are some of our favorites:
13. Sounds just like you’re sitting by a stream listening to chirping birds
14. Put yourself on the shore instantly with ocean waves crashing
15. Indulge in sounds of a waterfall in the rainforest
16. Love falling asleep to rain? This one is for you!
17. Birds over rice terraces can help settle the mind.
There’s An App For That
Using apps can be an easy way to explore meditation and discover which type feels right for you. Check out these options.
18. Insight Timer has it all—meditation music, guided meditation, and a customizable meditation timer.
21. For even more options, check out our 25 best mental health apps.
Podcasts: Anywhere, Anytime
Carry your favorite meditation with you on your phone!
23. In The Daily Meditation Podcast, meditation coach Mary Meckley leads a daily guided meditation approximately 20 minutes long.
24. Meditation Minis, led by hypnotherapist Chel Hamilton, are all under 15 minutes.
Here Are A Few More Meditation Tools You Should Have For Your Meditation Journey:
The Chopra Center Meditation
The basics of Zen
The New Meditation Handbook
Transform Your Life: A Blissful Journey – The audio version is great for a guided meditation to Transform Your Life
Yoga Journal – Mediation