How badly do you really want to learn to meditate? If you’re reading this, then you know about the benefits of meditation for your health and mental well-being and now you are ready to give meditation a try, but you really don’t know exactly how to begin your practice.
The most important aspect of learning how to meditate successfully is knowing how to discover the right meditation method that works for you and your lifestyle. That’s where I come in, below are some guided meditations you can download and get started right away to learn to meditate and some tools you can try so you can develop a practice that is yours and makes you feel comfortable and motivated for a consistent daily meditation practice
Have you ever wondered how people who live to be 100 and yet still have a great quality of life? In his very popular book on aging, “Aging Well,” Harvard researcher, George Vaillant, M.D., found out just what these happy and healthy centurions live. They cultivate a deep sense of peace, well-being, and of course, they maintain a positive attitude in their daily affairs.
How? Here’s one of their biggest well-kept secrets: a daily and focused meditation practice. What’s ironic about meditation is, it has developed in the West as a healing technique modality, but it has been practiced for thousands of years in the East.
So in my quest to give you easy and sensible ways you can learn to meditate and increase your energy, I’ll begin by defining what the actual meaning of meditation is. Then I’ll show you just how easy it is to learn the right technique and how to apply these methods to your daily meditation routine along with some guided meditations so you can get started today on your meditation journey.
What Is The Actual Meaning Of Meditation?
Meditational exercises primarily use the experience of the body and thought so you can learn to meditate as a means to reconnect with your soul essence (your true meditation teacher) and its physical and mental healing power. Meditation, when practiced on a daily basis, has been proven to promote exceptional inner peace and wellness.
Meditation is also a mental practice in which the mind is directed to the main area of your existence, the breath. When you learn to meditate, you can draw your energy from the human connection to nature which then creates a sense of unity or one-ness with all beings. This unity will increase communication with your spirit essence within your body.
Meditation has also been known to develop positive thoughts for motivation and to stimulate positive physiological and psychological effects. Meditation techniques are easy to learn if you open yourself to the possibilities and can easily be incorporated into any lifestyle. If practiced daily, when you learn to meditate it will bring balance to your body and mind in ways that will astound you.
Proven Benefits Of Meditation and Breathing Exercises Include:
• Deep abiding inner peace and oneness with all beings
• Improved self-esteem and confidence
• Increased creativity in all areas of living
• Physiological health/psychological healing
• Reduced medical care from self-healing
• Slowing/reversal of aging effects in mind and body
• Reversing of heart disease through reduced stress levels
• Stimulation of the body’s immune system for powerful healing
• Reduced stress and anxiety through peace of mind
How can I learn to meditate on my own?
I have found there is really not one perfect way we can learn to meditate that works for everyone. You can use a teacher or discover your own path. Below are four of my favorite meditational exercises plus information on guided meditation methods that will get you started. Remember, there is no wrong path here, it is impossible to meditate wrong.
Try these easy methods for your self, or simply set a timer and sit in silence for 20 minutes, each day and work up to twice a day when you are ready. This is the one thing in life you can count on to produce the most positive change for your life.
Guided Meditations For Beginners
Meditation is the key to a happy life for many people all over the world. Unlike watching television or reading a book after work, guided meditations allow you to completely relax and de-stress as you are clearing your mind and focusing on your own breathing. Meditation has been practiced all over the world for many centuries and is incorporated into a variety of different activities such as Yoga, Pilates, and more.
A guided meditation will allow you to completely learn to meditate and clear your mind to relax while listening to a soothing soundtrack and following the instructions of the person that is guiding you through the meditation. There are a variety of different types of guided meditations that are available on Meditation Life Skills in the Guided Meditation section.
If you are looking for others to take part in guided meditation with you, there are also a variety of different ways that you can find local places that offer guided meditation classes. Many of these are completely free and are a great addition to your daily life as you will not only be able to participate in guided meditation, but you will also meet a variety of other people that are looking to relax and better themselves as well.
Guided meditations are very easy to do, as you are completely instructed by the voice that you are listening to, and you will be led through your own mind and learn to meditate, even if you have never meditated before. Many people keep their meditation sessions around 10 to 15 minutes when they are beginning, as this allows you to begin to learn how to meditate.
5 Minute Meditation – Setting Intentions For Your Highest Good
With practice, meditation becomes easier and easier, and you will be able to control your mind at will, rather than having to actively try to focus on your breathing or any other object that you have set your focus on.
Guided meditations can last anywhere from 10 minutes all the way to hours on end. For people who are looking to meditate for a long time, these much longer sessions are available and go much more in-depth during the entirety of the session. This creates the perfect chance for you to completely relax and learn to meditate without ever having to spend money or wasting energy.
Theta Binaural Beats Download For A Deep Meditation Experience
This is perfect for absolutely anyone who wants to learn to meditate and is looking to get deep into meditation and truly concentrate on ways to better themselves, as well as the energy that they put out into the world.
How do I learn to meditate? 4 Powerful Methods…
1) Meditative Grounding Exercise
Sometimes you may find yourself lacking energy, experiencing anxiety, or feeling spacey with distracted energy. Using this guided grounding meditation can balance your life-force energy when needed.
You can use this meditation technique and increase your energy if it’s become low or even to release any excess energy you may have built up during the day. Be sure to check out all of The Mindful Movement’s grounding practices here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list… Headphones recommended for an optimal experience.
Here’s how you can do this on your own:
• Sit with your legs crossed in a comfortable (Indian-style) position with your hands relaxed on your lap. Now, just close your eyes, and in your mind’s eye visualize a beam of white light dropping down from the base of your spine all the way through to the center of the earth and connecting your energy to its center.
• Allow this beam of white light to expand in width until it envelopes your entire body. This is your personal space to connect with the wisdom of mother earth/Gaia.
This meditation method places you completely in your body’s energy and helps you to remember you that you are anchored to the earth and all it’s wisdom. Remember, the more grounded you are, the more aware you are. Since the presence of your higher self: listen to its voice.
2) Energy Cleaning Exercise
Now that you are grounded, it’s important that you cleanse this personal space. Throughout the day we can take on other people’s negative energies and may not even be aware of it. This happens in our daily interaction with others and just in the day in and day out the process of living in this third dimension.
10-minute Guided Energy Cleansing Meditation
Now Available for Download: http://greatmeditation.wixsite.com/
Learn how to do this on your own:
• To remove all foreign energies from your space, imagine holding a brush and sweeping away the debris.
• Allow the debris to fall to the ground and become washed away. Let the white light envelop your entire body and spread this special healing energy that you have created to surround you in your space where you are sitting, allow this energy to create a protective golden-white protective field around you. Just sit in this space and enjoy the feeling of what you have created in total peace and security.
By effectively clearing out the aura around your body will help keep your energy state properly grounded, it is important to define your personal energy boundaries, and allow you to declare your spiritual space to do your meditation work. This process will allow you to choose what energy can enter and stay in this protected space.
3) Breathing Exercise
5 Minute Deep Breathing Exercise | City of Hope
Deep Breathing exercises can help you to reduce anxiety and stress, difficulty sleeping, and any physical discomfort you may experience from time to time. For more resources, please visit: http://www.cityofhope.org
How you can learn this very important breath meditation:
• Follow your breath as you slowly inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Count with each exhales until you reach 10 then begin again at one.
• If you find yourself counting past the count of 10, just peacefully acknowledge that this happened and simply start the count from one and begin again. This is a very good exercise to learn how to keep your mind focused on your meditation session.
• Imagine for a moment, that the cells in your body are being replaced with pure oxygen and a positive golden-white healing energy from this inexhaustible and always available source of pure positive energy. Imagine yourself exhaling all the old worn-out cells in your body, the crazy stress from the day, any illness you may have along with any worries.
• Let your thoughts pass through your mind like drifting clouds. Let them enter your mind’s awareness, and then very gently allow those thoughts to just pass through and gently release them into either. If the mind should focus on a negative thought that you just can’t get rid of, simply refocus on your breath. Your mind can’t focus on two things at once.
• Just say thank you to any persistent negative thoughts for coming into your mind and helping with your perspective on that problem or fear and then gently let those thoughts simply go. Don’t resist in any way, just gently let go.
• Listen only for the positive, pronounced voice; the voice of your body.
4) Retrieve Your Energy Meditation Exercise
Guided Meditation to Boost Energy with Deepak Chopra
Since outside energy often resides in your space, sometimes you leave energy in other places. After completing the meditation exercises it can sometimes be necessary to re-energize your energy maybe even on a daily basis.
• Imagine in your mind and heart that you have an energy magnet that can be used to attract this energy back to you. Visualize this pure white energy flowing back to you, filling your mind, body, and spirit with light, health, and personal empowerment.
• Allow a few minutes for the process.
Meditation Journal Questions:
1. Record in your meditation journal any problem or trouble you may be having – emotional, physical, or otherwise. Let these difficult problems go for now and give them over to your meditation process as a way to free your self from these issues. You can always deal with them from a new perspective after your meditation.
2. Do you notice solutions and synchronicity coming to you throughout the day that allows you to effectively deal with the problems? Have you noticed that with regular meditation practice, that your body, mind, and spirit are becoming much calmer and that results in a clearer perspective on your problems?
Ideas To Consider:
1. Make time for your spirit daily. Exhibit behaviors and self-talk that show your reverence for yourself.
How to meditate? Breathe, and watch your breath.
2. Along with the many documented benefits of daily meditation, there are fewer anxiety issues, decreased depression, irritability and moodiness throughout your day, improved learning ability and overall better memory, and greater creativity at work and at home. And that’s just the beginning of the benefits you can experience!
3. Then there are slower aging benefits for you to enjoy (possibly due to higher DHEA levels), the increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation, less stress in the form of lowering cortisol and lactate levels in the body, a lower metabolic and heart rate, and lower blood pressure with higher blood oxygen levels throughout the body and mind.
How To Meditate Daily
Here’s a simple technique that will give you results in minutes. Sit comfortably in a chair, close your eyes when you are ready. Exhale deeply, then breathe in through your nose and release the tension from each muscle starting with your feet up to the top of your head. Just feel each body part relaxing, watching for the tension that you may be holding onto, like a tight jaw or stiff shoulders.
If you still have tension somewhere in your body, tense up that muscle again, then let it relax slowly and gently. You can also repeat silently “relax” as the tension slowly drains fro that area. This will train your body and mind to recognize what is called the relaxation response. Later in your meditation practice, you may be able to relax more just by repeating the word “relax” a few times until you feel the release.
Breath through your nose. This is important because it brings in more oxygen by involving your diaphragm more. You can test this. Breath in and out several times with just your mouth and you’ll notice that your breathing is much shallower as you are breathing. Then breathe through your nose and you’ll notice that your abdomen extends more. Air is being drawn deeper into your lungs.
Allow your breath to fall into a comfortable pattern, and then just notice the sensation and simply pay attention to it. Pay attention to your breath as it passes in and out of your nose. Your mind may wander at first, but all you have to do to refocus on your meditation is to gently bring attention back to your breath. The power is always in your breath!
If your find your mind is still too busy and you can’t focus on your meditation, try naming each of the distractions as a way of setting them aside for now so you can continue your session. For example, say in your mind, “my leg is very itchy or uncomfortable,” or “I’m very worried about work,” immediately return attention to the in and out sensations of your breath. Find away to learn how to identify and set aside distractions during your meditation.
That’s it. Continue to meditate for five to ten minutes using a timer if needed, or you can try a meditation method of just focusing on your breath for 100 breaths starting over at one if you lose track.
When you are done meditating, just open your eyes and sit for a few seconds basking in the peace and blissful feelings you have created. You’ll feel much more relaxed about your life, and your mind will feel relaxed and refreshed ready to take on the day. You’ll be better prepared for any mental challenges you may experience at work or at home. The benefits of daily meditation are truly never-ending, but you have to meditate! That’s how you can easily learn to meditate.